Commission based pay, also know as performance pay, has a mixed reputation. There are a lot of misconceptions, and downright lies being told about commission based service techs and companies.
In full disclosure, not all of my clients are on commission based pay for their service techs and plumbers. I think that is a mistake.
Because of my belief, I have decided to write the 11 things service techs, plumbers, comfort advisors, managers and business owners need to know about commission based / performance pay.
1. Commission based pay is not evil. I’m not sure who decided that commission based pay was the work of the devil, but they have done a good job of spreading that lie. Paying commission is far from evil. It is a good thing.
2. Commission based service techs are not crooks. Who is spreading this crap? Commissions don’t encourage you to steal. As a matter of fact, it may interest you to know that 55% of all business theft actually comes from managers, not front line people getting paid commissions.
3. Fixed labor percentages solve massive problems. Performance pay locks in one of the most troublesome numbers in business: field labor.
4. Budgeting becomes easier. Once your numbers are locked in, budgeting becomes so much easier.
5. Accountability becomes your business partner. Techs are actually more accountable to performance when they are paid for it.
7. Reputation becomes more important. A commission based company never wants to get the impression of going for the “money grab.” It focuses the entire company on the critical task of maintaining brand.
8. Callbacks go down. No one wants to do double work for the same pay. Performance based pay encourages slowing down and doing it right the first time.
9. Marketing becomes more important. When your techs are not being paid for cleaning the shop, you will do your best to keep them in calls.
10. Service Techs get paid what they are worth. This is important. People deserve to be paid what they are worth. Not more, and not less. If you are receiving an hourly pay, then you are always in one category or the other.
11. Hybrid pay is another form of commission pay. If you are saying to yourself, “I’m hourly, and I get a bonus at the end of every month depending on how I performed.” Then guess what, that is another form of commission based pay. That’s cool too.
There is my list of 11 things to know about commission based pay. I hope you do something with it. “Like what?” Switch to commission, or at least a form of performance pay. That would be the first thing I would recommend.
Do you need help making changes in your business?
A proactive business is a successful business. That's why our team takes the time to make sure every client has a proactive, not reactive, business plan. Our strategies make your business run more smoothly and profitable.
Our training services help businesses identify and achieve their key performance indicators (KPIs). Whether it's increased revenue or higher satisfaction rates, our methods allow you to see immediate and continued results.
Our team of experts works hard to make sure your business gets personalized training. We'll work with your team one-on-one or in group settings to set and achieve your business goals. We develop training based on your goals!
We believe that people are the most valuable asset. We strive to provide outstanding benefits, life balance, leadership, and support to our team. We believe in helping people reach their greatest level of growth, contribution and satisfaction.